Tuesday 5 May 2009

I like music: The Get Up Kids, NYC, 5/1/09

I saw The Get Up Kids last Friday, and while it was an amazing show and I got to see a friend I haven't seen in far too long, it reminded me (very rudely, I might add) that I am getting old.

Sure, I'm not actually old. I'm a mid-twenties woman of the 90's (you heard me) who is, by standard definitions, young. However, when it comes to these shows, holy MOSES I'm old. When I saw TGUK were getting together for the 10th anniversary of Something To Write Home About, I nearly pooped my pants in shock. I NEARLY POOPED. MY. PANTS. That shit was ten years ago? Seriously? A whole decade has passed since I ditched Ace of Base and went starry-eyed for local bands like Nobody's Heroes? Because that's what TGUK reminds me of- my musical metamorphosis. Ten years has gone by and what do I have to show for it? Don't answer that.

So, seeing them on Friday was kind of surreal. I mean, I don't FEEL old, why I'm just hitting my prime!, but the fact that I had zero desire to stand in the pit (my friend and I sat in the seats) and my inability to get shitfaced drunk (like the prize-winner of nothing sitting behind us) reminded me that I will never get kicked in the face while dancing around again. And it made me sad, but also relieved, because I will never get kicked in the face again.

Also, for some reason, going to that show reminded me of when I would write Dashboard Confessional lyrics in my journal. Such an odd little memory to recollect. I blushed really hard from embarrassment just thinking about how dumb I used to be, and then I went and wrote some Dashboard lyrics in my NEW journal to express that embarrassment.

The cycle never ends.


The beginning of "I'm A Loner, Dottie, A Rebel" from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8qtkxkVpU

No comments:

Post a Comment