Tuesday 26 May 2009

Dumb Dumb Dumb


I'm so upset right now. I am so disappointed. This is the kind of stuff that makes me ashamed to live in this country. We've come so far yet we fall so short sometimes.

Why must everything come in such small steps? Why is it a constant battle to prove that everyone in this country deserves the same rights as others, no matter who they love? It doesn't matter that Proposition 8 was passed by the voters. It represents hate and intolerance. It is backed by groups so blinded by religious doctrine and soaring ignorance that they can't see that they aren't protecting marriage, they're simply protecting the destructive and cruel mindset of those too small-minded to see the world outside their dumbass bubble. Denying marriage to those who should never be denied is not championing the sanctity of straight marriage, it just makes you look fucking STUPID. As crude as that sounds, that's what you are: FUCKING. STUPID.

I am allowed to get married. Many of my friends are not. What makes me any more qualified to legally bind myself to another person than my friends? I am so frustrated with today's ruling in California, and while I know it's not even remotely close to the frustration my gay and lesbian friends must be feeling right now, I think it's important to note that as long as we continue to discriminate against people, any people, for any reason, we all suffer immensely.

Two of my friends, who were lucky enough (is that the right term?) to marry during the small window gay marriage was legal in California, are allowed to remain married. This is a huge relief, of course, but my heart is broken over those who weren't fortunate enough to make it to their city or town hall in time. It's unforgivable.

Each state that has yet to pass an equal marriage law should learn from Iowa and perhaps take the stance many people in Iowa did- my religion doesn't agree with it, I don't agree with it, but I am in no position to tell others how to live or to deny their right to equality. We're not looking to change religious beliefs (even though, personally, I think that whole, "It goes against the Bible's teachings" shit needs to go out the window), it's simply a matter of equality UNDER LAW. And I was taught in school that there is a separation of church and state. I am not silly enough to believe it actually is honored all of the time, but it is one of my core political beliefs. To continue to vote, in 2009, based on your religious ideals is one of the most dangerous things I believe you can do. There has to be a disconnect between politics and religion. And while I know I sound like a cloud-gazing dreamer, something has to give. To pour millions and millions of dollars (I'm looking at you, Mormon church) into promoting hate, when you yourselves are part of a marginalized group, is LUDICROUS.

I'll wrap it up with a quote from Alice Paul:

"I never doubted that equal rights was the right direction. Most reforms, most problems are complicated. But to me there is nothing complicated about ordinary equality."

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, kitten, we won't back down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's just such a bummer. New York better pass that legislation, that's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gay Marriages for errybody!

    ReplyDelete